Pearls Mother

Lindy is the mother of two spoilt cats, Pearl Phyllis and Miss Puss. I knit, cross stitch, drink wine, read detective novels and pluck weeds from my garden.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I'd forgotten about metal needles.

They make my hands, wrists and arms hurt -------- even my elbows hurt.

My mother always knitted with tortoise shell or plastic needles, she said that metal kneedles made her hands ache.
I should have remembered this
Now I should explain that if mum was awake she had knitting in her hands, hmmm, that might be where I get it from.
Actually. my nanna and nanny were the same ------ it's obviously in the gene pool.

I'm making a pair of fingerless mittens for my bestest friend Andrea's dad (Norman), he has Parkinsons Disease.
He is having circulation problems with really cold hands, so, some left over Bendigo Alpaca is perfect.
I have the yarn, now, I needed new DPN needles.

Off to the LYS I go and the choice is Bamboo dpn's at $18.00 or metal for $6.50, it seems simple really.
Yes, I bought the metal ones and one and three quarters mittens later everything aches and the bamboo dpns are beckoning.

Is there something going on that I haven't joined recently?
The current tally is,
Knitters Coffee Swap Three,
Knitters Tea Swap 4,
Secret of Chrysopolis Shawl
Secret of the Stole
Mystic Wayers Kal
------- more details and some photos are coming!

7 Comments:

  • At 6:49 AM, Blogger mrspao said…

    I'm in both the Coffee and Tea Swaps too. I find metal needles make my hands ache so I don't use them too often.

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now that you mention it, I think I have a problem with metal needles too! They cut off the circulation in a couple of my fingers and make them all tingly.

    I never made a connection between any particular needles, but you've made me think it through and I think the metals are the ones.

    I like bamboo but I snap the little ones like nothing.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Laurie said…

    Welcome to Knitter's Coffee Swap! I love the combination of colder weather, coffee, and knitting (although in your part of the world it's summer...here in California USA, it's autumn).
    I thought I was the only one with a chunky cat...my male cat (da Vinci) weighs in at 15 pounds.
    I love knitting with wood, bamboo if they are good quality (some have bad splinters), and I have to say, I have learned to love using Addi Turbos (circulars) for socks. Metal usually feels too slippery for me.

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    I also have hand problems, and find that ANY flexible needle is better than metal. Bamboo or wood makes me happy because it doesn't feel cold. Just so you know.

     
  • At 1:33 AM, Blogger Chris said…

    My goodness, you are participating in a lot of things!

    Hmm, too bad Knitpicks isn't shipping overseas - their wooden needles are supposed to be pretty decent and reasonably priced.

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger Carol said…

    You know I didn't know about the metal needles, I've always used them, maybe that's why I get sore hands. My grandma used to use tortoiseshell, that must have been the reason, her hands!! Hmmm, I do remember her teaching me to knit. I would knit so tight I'd actually break her tortoiseshells in half !!!

     
  • At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't have trouble with metal needles--I like them--but oooh, those faux tortoiseshell needles! I see you're in Australia, lucky you. They're so wonderful and impossible to find in the US.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home